Tuesday, July 25, 2023

no seaweed involved (and the weird synchronicity of research)


This sculpture sits outside TAI Modern, a gallery opposite Site Santa Fe: it's by Celeste Roberge, and called Chaise Gabion (2006), in waterjet cut stainless steel filled with river rocks.  Apart from thinking that it looks singularly uncomfortable, I confess I've not given it much thought before this week, when I found myself working on Roberge because her current work is about seaweed, and climate change, so of course she'll find her way into the book.  I'm particularly enamored with a piece called Sea Will Be Lapping at Your Doorstep - a sculpture of a pair of seaweed encrusted boots.  

So of course I looked at this today with new eyes. Chaise Gabion [or sofa cage] is part of her long fascination with the fact that the elements will eventually reclaim the material world.  But not before she's had a chance to inhabit it first: here she is, on another version of the piece - completely swathed in kelp.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment