Friday, July 3, 2015

moving office


In physical terms, this isn't a big deal - it means moving myself from the Chair's office, where I've been for nearly four years, into the office next door.  But every time that one changes rooms, it seems like a chance to re-invent oneself.  I've had one super-terrific office in my life, at the top of a house in New Brunswick that was also crumbling, with big big cracks, and noisy sex-crazed raccoons in the walls, and I was rarely in it (chairing, again) - but I could happily have stayed in that for ever.  Only it never quite works that way ...

I needed a picture of Millais's Autumn Leaves in situ for a paper that I'm giving in London in a couple of weeks - and it made me wish that I'd taken a picture of every notice board in every office I've eber been in ... here's AL, indeed, and last year's Christmas Card (taken in San Miguel de Allende), and acyanotype from a class demonstration, and a watercolor drawing, from a calendar, of a Venetian campanile, and Samantha Bricio, from the USC women's volleyball team, and a list of phone numbers that I never have had occasion to call, and the instructions about my own voice mail, given by a previous office administrator, that don't work, and some magnets made after C19th tiles, and an Appaloosa horse.  Pretty much the same as it'd have been 40 years ago, in terms of accidental visual detritus ...

No comments:

Post a Comment