Monday, August 20, 2018

dental art


There is probably a book to be written - but I promise I'm not going to be the person to write it - about vernacular art and dentists' offices.  Not the combination of framed posters together with paintings and photos by dentists themselves that's usually interestingly eclectic (this dentist's has both a Santa Monica beach scene and a large canvas of a pigeon - I'm fond of both of them) - but stuff that is more or less humorous.  That is, "humorous."  One dentist's office that I went to in New Jersey had a not uninteresting huge soft sculpture of a tooth, and enormous stuffed felt toothbrushes.  But this is something else again: a device for holding business cards, and then an uncertain shift between two and three dimensionality - and then - THE DRILL.  It was not an unpainful morning, in my mouth, and I didn't much enjoy contemplating that drill.

No comments:

Post a Comment