Friday, August 17, 2018

Nurse Moth


Moth has been a loving, stalwart, caring companion to Alice all the way through the long grind that's encompassed by 6 sessions of chemotherapy - so much so that she's earned the title of Nurse Moth.  Here she is, keeping the knees warm at breakfast - Cream of Wheat, for Alice, which I thought was a strange American invention, until I realized this is semolina by another name.  I grew up eating it with jam - usually raspberry jam.  Indeed, I didn't know there was any other way to eat it, but Alice heads for the milk and brown sugar.  I'm sure my mother made it with sugar from the get-go - my memory is definitely of a sweet gooey substance.  This disquisition on semolina has led me away from celebrating Moth, which was undeserved, given the fact that we should all be celebrating her virtues.

No comments:

Post a Comment