Tuesday, May 4, 2021

a rabbit


This is our neighbors' startlingly green non-Californian-native front lawn grass, and there, nibbling away, right up against our peeling yellow wall and railings, is a Rabbit.  Either that rabbit, or its brothers or sisters, have been hanging out in the street a lot this spring.  Quite apart from the danger posed by our local red tailed hawk - who prefers to sit in a tree in our back yard disembowelling mourning doves and scattering their feathers - these rabbits are surely horribly vulnerable to cars.  Yesterday I had to stop my car as I was driving off, and shoo one out of the road so that I didn't squash it myself.  I don't recollect seeing rabbits in the front like this any other year (they're always scampering around in the back, which, come to think of it, could bear some relation to the scantiness of the wildflower meadow ...).

 

No comments:

Post a Comment