Monday, May 10, 2021

wedgwood rose


As some of you know well - when this blog becomes determinedly local and floral, it often means that my life has been entirely taken over by admin, PhD defenses, grad examinations, and the like.  But I'm genuinely grateful to have distractions like this one outside the front door.  It's the first (and for all I know, only) bloom on my new David Austin rose - a Wedgwood Rose, and supposedly a climber, though I haven't yet decided where she's going to climb.  A couple of weeks after she came home, she was mercilessly chewed ragged (and indeed, one side hasn't recovered, at all) - together with the other casualties: Alice's lettuces (oh, and a red rose bush next door - where there were rose petals strewn all over their grass, like the work of some angry lover in a ballad).  I think I blame raccoons - deer are a very outside possibility, and probably aren't as fond of lettuce.  On the other hand - lettuce, rabbits ...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment