Sunday, September 29, 2024

the difficulties of determining irony


Sometimes, it's very hard to tell what's ironic, or satiric - and what isn't.  Object 1: on the TV this morning, an ad for a wall plaque for "Trumpy Trout" - which, I promise you, is a Real Ad.  It's absolutely genius.  It talks - in DT's voice - telling you (for example) "I am the hugely bigliest fish in the pond."  It was advertised on CNN - which most probably means that it's not aimed at pro-Trumpers.  On the other hand, there's something faintly endearing - as well as utterly ridiculous - about the - er - likeness.  So - does it have cross-over appeal?  Doubtless it is a collector's item - a dream kitsch souvenir (but I promise you, I'm not tempted).  It is ironic, surely, isn't it?

And this?  Object 2. It was being worn by a grad student sitting next to me in a conference session this afternoon.  Yes - it's a shirt covered with little corgis who are wearing Union Jacks, doubtless in homage to our own dear late Queen.  But ... how to determine the stance of its owner?  I thought this was going to be easy when she said to me - at the end of that session - "I love your shoes!"  "I love your shirt!" I lied happily, in reply.  "Ooooh, thank you - it's my Victorian conference shirt!"  Somehow, I didn't feel like pushing any further.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment