Saturday, July 18, 2009

the ghostliness of the V & A


I really went to the V & A to take some photographs of the Beasts of Dacre, which have been in the museum since 2001.   Before that, they stood in the Great Hall of Naworth Castle, in Cumberland - two either side of the fireplace (the red bull and the black gryphon), and two either side of the front door to the Morpeth Tower - a.k.a. the front door to where I lived between the ages of 3 and nearly 7.   Our two were the King Salmon (though the V&A wobbles a bit about whether he may be a Dolphin - obviously he's a salmon), and the White Ram.   I was always told that the Salmon was the original for Tenniel's Fish Footman - certainly Tenniel would have known George Howard, 9th earl of Carlisle, who was a great friend of the Pre-Raphaelites and other artists.   (I should maybe point out that in no way do I have Carlisle Blood - my parents rented this tower from the then Earl when my father was site manager on the ill-fated Blue Streak rocket project on Spadeadam Waste, which is another story entirely...).

But as ever in the V & A I was distracted, and ended up not just talking to the Beasts, which I always like to do when I'm in London, to give them some kind of continuity, but looking at some of the Aesthetic Movement stuff on the top floor - hence this Miss Havisham like figure, and a curiously pert model wearing mourning costume.   Better yet (though no photography allowed) was the Telling Tales exhibition - not the best title - too redolent of secrecy, which took fairy tales and myth as its starting point, and then invited one to think of designed objects - a wardrobe, say, or a fire-blackened mirror - in this context.   What's more (as the website suggests) it's a very aural show too - the first room had much bird song; the second added dissonantly chiming clocks; the third, rather uncomfortably visceral one, a beating heart.   But it was brilliantly inventive, and so today's post is very much in the spirit of the spooky (and of course, is haunted by my own childhood, too).

No comments:

Post a Comment