Sunday, October 4, 2009

surface tension

Compelling though the Robert Frank exhibition at the Met was, I was also very glad to have seen the show of images from their permanent photography collection called Surface Tension, which included a whole range of images that played with illusion of surface and depth; that tried to make a two dimensional photograph surface look anything but; that functioned as a trompe d'oeuil, or, in the case of Adam Fuss, experimented with what happens when one lets loose a number of snakes in a large sheet of photosensitive paper lightly dusted with talculm powder. I thought - and probably still will - that I would try for a week of surfaces of one sort or another...

... but I hadn't been planning on my first example being a shot of my computer screen, which took an unprecedented and malicious dislike to the slides that I was putting together for tomorrow morning's class, and sliced everything up into irretrievable fragments. I had to crash the whole things, but not before I'd taken advantage of its attempt to make receding planes out of its flat and unco-operative surface. My fingers are crossed that it's more or less o.k., but I'm eyeing it warily...

No comments:

Post a Comment