Thursday, April 14, 2022

jacaranda time is here!


When the jacarandas start to blossom, and parts of Los Angeles are drenched in their magnificent mid-purple, one knows that the end of the academic year is starting to come into sight.  There are, indeed, two more teaching weeks ... not that I'm teaching, and that's the problem: I am very nearly half-way through my leave (I just did an anxious count-up of weeks, and there's one to go before I hit the half way mark.). Yes, I know that I'm preposterously lucky to have this amount of leave (though I only received the official notification of my leave for the fall today, despite requesting it a year ago, which probably accounts for my acute consciousness of all of this).  But it's going scarily fast - in part because it took me longer than it should have done to recover from chairing; in part because of the pandemic lumbering on and on.  And even as I miss teaching, and colleagues (full confession - this pic was taken outside the University Club, because I was on campus, and actually like working in my room, sometimes, and getting out library books) - well, there's so much I still want to do ...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment