Thursday, August 25, 2022

tomato harvest


I have been joking all summer that the drought in southern England will surely end when I came back - and right on cue, as the plane landed bumpily at LHR, there was a sustained deluge.  Of course, I can see how much it's needed - it's not just lawns and grassland that is parched and brown, but trees are already turning autumnal, especially chestnut trees.  My father, however, is absolutely delighted to find that because he now has a "blue badge" - which allows him to park in "disabled" people's spots - that means that he counts as disabled, which, in turn, means that the new Thames Water hosepipe ban doesn't apply to him.  I can only assume that the driving principle is that people with challenged mobility are not expected to save water from their showers and carry it outside in buckets.

This means - and will continue to mean - that this year's tomato plants are flourishing wonderfully well.  I was given the task of picking the ripe ones, which was a great pleasure.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment