Monday, July 4, 2011

4th of July


It's that annual holiday when I think that really, I should get round to filing my application for citizenship one of these days - and then get hung up on the logistics: which state does my driver's licence belong to? (NM) Where are my bank accounts and place of employment? (CA).   At least I'm now free of the emotional perils of becoming a citizen of New Jersey (no, I know that one doesn't embrace a state at the same time that one swears in under the stars and stripes, but all the same - one has to go through the ceremony somewhere.   And of course I fancy New Mexico).

So here's our take on the ritual meal: a buffalo burger (with oregano, cumin, and chipotle powder), corn (lime, more chipotle), potato salad (yogurt and mustard and fennel and onion dressing), guacamole, Hatch chile salsa.   And a bottle of Adelsheim Pinot Grigio.   And watching the fireworks - or not.   For there were, of course, very few to be seen - even the display at Santa Fe High School (traditionally blocked for us by a well positioned tree, in any case) looked very muted.   Instead - we looked at the flames of the Las Conchas fire, trying to work out if there was a new outbreak over a ridge, and peering through the binoculars at the conflagrations that are up above Santa Clara Pueblo.   No rain today, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment