Monday, May 27, 2019

Japan day 5, and the site specific


Yayoi Kusama's Yellow Pumpkin - indeed, her pumpkins in general - have perhaps become something of a cliché.  Or so I thought - seeing this in situ, in Naoshima, with a misty evening over the Seto Inland Sea, it has a presence completely due to being here.  And it's a pumpkin that I'm sure looks different, and photographs differently, with every shift of cloud and light.  I'll be back down there in the morning - it'll be raining, I think, but that won't hurt my argument.

The day started in Kurashiki, and then a couple of trains to Takamatsu (it's a trip in which I've been very glad to be so confident in navigating trains, local buses, boats, from decades of experience in strange places) - and to Famous Garden # 2, the Ritsurin Garden.  It was luminous even under grey skies: a garden designed to walk around in and be surprised by something round every corner.


(including this posing heron);





all that topiary means constant care;


and there's always something in season: late May, that proved to be water lilies


and irises - wonderful swathes of them.


And then by boat across the Inland Sea to Naoshima: mist-filled, it looked like every preconception of maritime Japan you might carry with you: Sugimoto with an island (and at dinner, I was facing a whole wall displaying Sugimoto's Time Exposed, which almost makes this qualify as a research trip ...).


And this is the view from my room ...


Oh, and - I was careful.  Cherry-blossom dango make for a tasty lunch (rice dumplings grilled over charcoal, and smeared with adzuki bean paste).


No comments:

Post a Comment