Wednesday, May 11, 2022

I present to you Dr Christopher McGeorge!


I present to you ... Dr Christopher McGeorge!  This bestowal of Chris's PhD has been a long, long time in coming.  He actually defended back in 2019, deferred walking across the stage until 2020 ... and we all know what happened then.  And last year didn't really seem feasible, either.  But now we're all back in person, everything pretty much as usual, when it comes to ceremonies - though there were a lot of PhD candidates crossing that stage today!

I so enjoyed working with Chris - he wrote a really original and interesting dissertation on Victorian public art in the form of frescoes and stained glass, both secular and religious, and I learned such a lot from his work.  Indeed, almost all the stray Victorian churches that have crept into this blog are as a result of Chris alerting me to their existence (cf St Peter's Bournemouth, perhaps my favorite of them all).  And he was a terrific TA for me, too.

Chris now works for a company in LA called Wild Blue Studios which (I quote from their website) "... is a worker-owned art house for entertainment, focusing on illustration, concept art, publishing, and motion graphic animation for games and film."  And I just loved it when, a few weeks back, he posted to FB an ad for someone to join the company, and wrote "My experience in graduate school (researching, writing, and funding a dissertation is definitely project management!) and my ability to speak about art at a high level opened the door."  When we're thinking about transferable skills and what our graduates take away from their PhDs, how wonderful to hear this.

Also, one of us is much taller than the other (photo courtesy of Chris's mother).


 

No comments:

Post a Comment