Monday, August 10, 2009

chilled hands


There!   I knew that putting these in the fridge would be the thing to do (for, as I suspected, in the sudden heat that's overwhelmed NJ, the hands were rapidly losing their soapiness and developing an unpleasantly slimy surface).

It strikes me that I've taken rather a lot of photographs this year (some of which have made it onto this blog, but plenty that haven't) of artificial humans or parts of humans: shop window mannequins, museum dummies - some realistic, some stylized - and now these hands.   The more realistic - or the most human-like, whether through pose or expression or faithfully molded detail, the better, and I can only think that this is because of the pleasure of the uncanny, the unheimlich, the this-is-almost-normal-but-it-so-very-much-isn't unsettling quality to them.   In turn, I think this represents some kind of desire to subvert the realism of photography - or at least to make one think twice about what one's looking at, to think about how the more-or-less obviously false can look real (though honestly, I don't really want people to think too hard about whether or not I have a bag of severed tiny hands in my fridge, competing for space with the almond butter and blueberries and cans of diet coke...).

2 comments:

  1. OK, these tiny hands, chilled or unchilled, are about the most creepy beautiful things I have ever seen. Where on earth did you get them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alas, a quick google shows that the site I bought these from is no longer in business, and the only other link reads "sold out". But whatever was I looking for in the first place - a year or so ago, I guess - that turned these items up? Mystery. How often *does* one google "soap hands"...?

    ReplyDelete