Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Abstraction

The only artistic creativity in this household today has been Emmett's attempt to decorate the bathtub. Quite why he always feels compelled to jump in after someone has taken a shower is a mystery; quite how his paws come to be so very dirty is a topic I'd rather not think about. Since I wince, badly, every time I move, all I've done is sit very still and - at last - read Linda Gordon's excellent biography of Dorothea Lange (I hadn't ever realized that she's spent the 1920s as a successful society portrait photographer). My attention has been grabbed by a minor player in this, the photographer Consuelo Kanaga, who was well known (though not to me - I don't recollect ever having heard of her) for her pictures of African Americans, and, yes, she seems to have made very good use of flash... her life, she said, was dedicated to the search for luminosity.

3 comments:

  1. I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJune 30, 2010

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ... yes ... improving. But. Ouch. I felt as though a horse had kicked me, hard, in the ribs.

    ReplyDelete